Friday, March 28, 2008

Upgrade 12.0.0 to 12.0.4

Hi Friends,

I install 12.0.0 in HPUX-PA-RISC(64-bit). I was doing cloning without following cloning doc and prerequisites(406982.1) and failed to do so.AS per cloning doc I planned to upgrade (RUP2)12.0.2 but finally I decided directly upgrade to 12.0.4 .Refer note (402308.1) and metalink note
(465776.1)
Below are the steps I follow in upgrade.

1> Take cold backup of the application as well as database . After completion start the application and database
2> Download patch RUP4(6435000).
3> Also download one prerequisite patch for this.R12.AD.A.DELTA.4(6510214).
4> Put your application in Maintenanace mode using 'adadmin' utility.
5> Note down your release_name from fnd_product_groups and patch_evel for AD from fnd_product_installations.
5> Install prerequisite patch of RUP4 i.e.R12.AD.A.DELTA.4(6510214) using adpatch . Dont merge this patch with RUP4.
6> Verify ad_bugs and fnd_product_installations table that this patch has applied successfuly.
7> Compile apps scehma using adadmin.
8> Now start applying 6435000 patch using adpatch . I did not specify any option becuase this is a major upgrade .Let patch decide what to do.
9> After fininshing the copy portion , This patch will run more than 18000 jobs . Will take more than 14 hrs without fail.
10>After completion of these jobs this patch drops the fnd_install_processes and ad_deferred_jobs and creates again fnd_install_processes and ad_deffered_jobs to run 250 and 900 jobs for compile pl/sql and compile forms.
11>During this patch the time consuming task is gather stats and adutlrcmp.sql for compiling objects.(took more than 5 hours ).
After completion of this patch verify the log files.. and check ad_bugs and fnd_product_groups table.

Major issues I faced
1> when patch starts compiling invalid objects taking more than 2.5 hrs and hang on library cache locks. I was trying to skip the worker but on backendside script is still running. And I am not able to kill this sql properly because this script already ran 2.5 hrs.Then I planned to abort my adpatch session.I killed my adpatch session.Dont worry guys this will not harm anything.Then I find this compilation script and write exit; in the first line. worker will read this file from the first line and exit this file and start execution next steps.YOu can compile manually after completion of this patch.

2>Second script is gather stats took time ,the procedure I followed , choose 6th option from adctrl and status goes to failed for this worker then I edit the gather stat sql with exit; in the first line and restart the worker.It will automatically exit the script and move on.
you can find above scripts in $AD_TOP/patch/sql

3> I also faced below error frequently

/d04/apoc/apps/tech_st/10.1.3/appsutil/jdk/jre/bin/java ...Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Socket read timed outat oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:146)at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:255)at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:387)at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:439)at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.(T4CConnection.java:165)at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:35)at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:801)at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)

Then I shutdown my other R12 instance running on same server will resolve my issue and I restarted my patch.

Note:

1>If you killed your adpatch seesion. then try using previous session to start.
2>If you are planning to apply this from the scratch then drop fnd_install_processes and ad_deferred_jobs table but use adpatch options=nocopyportion and edit your compilation script and gather stat scripts with exit; in the first line.(nocopyportion is used because you save your more than 1.5 hrs becaue copying is already done in the previous session and no need to choose start previous session.)
3>After successfully completion of this patch my apache is not coming up. Then I applied patch (6616965). This problem occurs only in HPUX platform

If you have any questions please write me....

Cloning concepts for R12 will come in next post.....

Thanks

--Guru

No comments: